- About Us
Bennett-Bertram Funeral Home was founded in 1963 by George Bertram and Albert Bennett. The location they chose was a circa 1893 home originally built by the daughter of I. W. Twyman, a member of the Kentucky Constitutional Convention. The home has undergone many additions, but still has the feel of the original 1800's architecture. The first addition was the main chapel which was finished in 1970. In 1976 a casket room was added to the home. Later in 1985 a larger lounge was added for the use of our families. In 1992 the casket room was remodeled and extended to provide a second chapel, and a new garage and casket room were built adjacent to the home. The newest addition was completed in 2001, when the office was moved to the front of the building and the old office renovated to provide a second lounge, a complete remodel of the landscaping was also done at this time. Mr. Bennett sold his interest in the business to Mr. Bertram in 1985. He continued to work part-time until his death in 1988. The home was owned by Mr. Bertram and his wife Janice until their retirement in 2000 when they sold the business to long time employees Todd R. Skaggs and Brad Turner, who currently operate the home along with three other full-time employees and several part-time employees.
Dixon-Rogers Funeral Home was founded in 1895 by Charlie Dixon and is the second oldest existing business in LaRue County (the LaRue County Herald News is the oldest). He operated out of a store front in downtown Magnolia near what is now the Magnolia Post Office, as in the late 1800's the visitation and funeral services were all held in the home of the deceased or in their church. Charlie's son Lee Dixon became owner of the funeral home and moved into a three story home across from the Magnolia Baptist Church sometime before WWII. Mr. Lawrence Rogers purchased stock in the funeral home in 1946 after being discharged from the Army after service in WWII. In 1966 they constructed a new funeral home on the corner of Highway 31-E and Lavenia Lane. Mr. Rogers and his wife Mary Willia "Cricket” Atwood Rogers continued to operate the funeral home in their new location until their retirement in 1994. They sold their business to George Bertram, a funeral director in Hodgenville, and his wife Janice, who owned the funeral home until their retirement in 2000 when they sold the funeral home to long time employees Todd R. Skaggs and Brad Turner, who currently operate the home along with three other full-time employees and several part-time employees.